We have had a very busy month since the last meeting on 11th July. No doubt you are aware that the Independent Hearings Panel released its final recommendations on the Auckland Unitary plan to the Auckland Council on 22nd July. We are very pleased to see that the Hearings Panel agree with a number of submission points we made. Please see here for a link to the recommendations.
However, much to our disappointment, the euphoria of having a win as regards what has been dubbed the “taniwha tax” has been short lived. That is because Auckland Council officers have rejected the recommendation of the Hearings Panel that the sites of value to mana whenua be removed.
Decisions on this issue and other Unitary Plan matters will be made at Auckland Council Governing Body meetings, which began on 10th August, and could run through until the 18th.
The public are welcome to these meetings, so I would urge anyone who is interested to go along and observe the proceedings. They are held in the Reception Lounge, on the 2nd floor of the Auckland Town Hall, beginning at 9:30am. As the council has no idea how long this process will take, I suggest checking with the council before attending.
These meetings will be streamed live at: http://councillive.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/
On demand videos will be available at: http://councillive.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/search/meeting/2016-07-28?search=
WORKING GROUP MEETING
Monday 15th August
- the Auckland Unitary Plan – where to from here;
- Hauraki Gulf Forum (HGF) governance review;
- proposed pro- democracy forum;
- ‘partnership principle’ project;
- Human Rights Commission’s response to the Tangata Tiriti workshop resource book;
- Keeping councillors informed;
- Local body elections:
- - questioning mayoral candidates;
- - questionnaire for aspiring councillors;
- - rating the Auckland council candidates.
If you would like to add an item to the agenda please email me.
Hope to see you there.
- August 15, 2016 at 7pm – 8:30pm
The Hydraulink building
21 O'Rorke Rd Penrose
Google map and directions
- 4 people are going